Velo Electrique has grown and has changed its name to BOXER CYCLES and is now producing an exciting new range of UK Manufactured family and delivery cargo trikes. Visit our new website here www.boxercycles.com
Full details of how to operate and maintain the Velo Cargo are contained in the user manual here…
What are the dimensions of the Velo Cargo E250?
- Length 225cm
- Width 85cm
- Height 110cm
How long does the battery last from a full charge?
- Depending on your physical fitness and the speed you ride the bike a battery can last anything from 20-70miles. Our personal record has been 58 miles on hilly terrain around Bournemouth using the power to pull out of junctions to get up to speed and for assistance on hills where pedal power alone was not enough.
- If you ride with the power on all the time (for speed) but assist as much as you can with pedalling you will get around 35 miles.
- If you hardly pedal at all and expect the bike to do nearly all of the work for you – you will be lucky to reach 20 miles from a charge.
What about spare parts – where do I get them from?
- The Velo range uses standard bike wheels, derailleur gears, chain, pedals, brakes, tyres etc – all of these components can be purchased from us or can be purchased from your local bike store.
- The electric motor is of a standard design and can be replace with one of a similar rating with no issue or a replacement can be supplied by Velo Electrique.
- The battery is also of a standard design/rack type and replacements or additional batteries can be purchased from Velo or E-bike stores.
- The front wooden sections can be supplied by Velo or can be made yourself using 10mm marine plywood and a jigsaw – get creative!!!
- The front pivot bearing and shaft can be purchased from Velo .
- Had a crash??? Any frame damage can be rectified by your local metal fabricator /welder and paint shop. If in doubt call Velo and we can advise the best course of action including repair at the Velo workshop.
Can I upgrade my motor to a higher rating?
- The motor supplied is a 250W unit which is the maximum that electric trike legislation allows currently. If you wish to fit a larger motor then you will be breaking the law if you use the trike on the public roads in the UK.
- Motors of upto 3kW are available on the market – this will turn your Velo into a rocket ship! but remember that the Velo is not designed to hurtle round at high speeds and turning will become dangerous with that sort of power on hand. If you must upgrade your motor, we strongly advise that you restrict the maximum speed to 15 mph and use the power for heavy hill climbing only. We would also ask that you remove the Velo Electric serial number plate (which is required by law) as this will no longer be valid.
Can I upgrade the battery to a larger size?
- yes – the standard Velo Cargo weighs 58kg which means that you have another 2kg of weight to play with before your trike becomes illegal (the weight limit for an electric trike unladen is 60kg) So theoretically you can upgrade your battery bank to 12 – 16 Ah legally.
- If you want serious range, we suggest buying multiple batteries which you can carry in the cargo area and are exempt from the 60kg limit.
How long does the battery take to charge?
- From flat – around 4-6 hours
- Remember that batteries do not accept charge that well if they are cold (below 10C), Velo recommends that you always charge your battery somewhere warm like inside your house, this way it will accept more charge and can deliver more power for longer.
- The battery is charged when the red light turns green.
How big is the battery charger?
- About the size of a laptop power supply.
Can I charge the battery overseas?
- The battery uses normal European mains voltage (230V) – if you take the trike overseas then you can use a conventional power adapter or simply change the plug.
Does the Velo have lights as standard?
- The Velo has a single red rear light built into the battery which is controlled by a small switch located under the handle.
- Additional lights can be purchased from Velo Electrique
Can the seats be removed or repositioned?
- The seats are screwed into position by two screws on each seat to allow the full space of the cargo area to be used / or half of it. The seat bearers can be repositioned if you want to make the seats lower or higher – longer etc – its just 10mm marine plywood and a few screws – don’t be scared, get creative!!!!
The seatbelts are too big for my child
- The seatbelt length can be adjusted by a significant degree, but if it is still to big for your child you can shorten the straps by pushing a red hot Phillips screw driver through the seatbelt to make a new mounting hole in it. Make sure you take care and wear gloves when doing this as the webbing plastic has a tendancy to stick to skin and burn you. If in doubt, send your seatbelts back to Velo and we will shorten them for you.
Can I mount our existing childs car seat in the cargo box?
- The answer is yes, however you may need to get creative with the fixing methods. You can use the existing seatbelts to secure it or use a ratchet strap or surf board roof bar strap to anchor the seat firmly to the roll-bar frame and to the base of the box. You may wish to take the front seat out to get the seat lower in the box as they are typically quite high.
- If in doubt, consult Velo and we will either create mounting points specific to your particular car seat or we can provide you with an off the shelf polystyrene baby seat as used on the Dutch bikes.
Do you ship the trikes overseas?
- Yes – please call for a quotation